Thursday 19 July 2012

Top 6 Independent or 'Weird' Films

Sometimes you don't want to watch a blockbuster, and some of my favourite films have been produced on a smaller scale, or are not as widely known because they were only in small independent cinemas when they were released. Some of these you may have heard of, or even seen, but I suspect that unless you're a big film buff, there will be something new on this list for you to track down.

1. Amelie

I have started with the queen of independent films. Most people who are interested in this kind of film, will probably have already have seen it. It is about a young woman (Audrey Tatou) who finds it difficult to communicate with others. She is adorable, and her little ways makes the world a better place for others, and in turn herself. It is a must-see.
Amelie cafe


2. I'm a Cyborg, But That's Ok

Don't be put off by the weird title of this one. It sounds like a crappy action movie, but it's not. It's a Korean film by the creator of Old Boy. It is in an insane asylum and centres around a young girl who thinks she is a cyborg. Others in the insane asylum have their own issues, some hilarious, and her interactions with these make this one of the most adorable films I have ever seen. Strangely, I also quite like the 'uniform' she has to wear ... maybe that says a little about me.

Cyborg Korean film


3. Happy Go Lucky

I loved this film when I first saw, fell out with for a while, but now I'm back to liking it again. It is about a woman in her 30s who lives in London and works as a teacher. She faces every situation with good nature and a 'happy-go-lucky' attitude. The film is mostly about what happens when she finds herself in a situation that she can't just laugh off, and the impact this has on her. There isn't a massive amount of plot, but I find her endearing and the characters believable. Also, as a teacher, dating a social worker, it is pretty much my life.

film Mike Leigh


4. Happiness

Happiness is the first film on this list that I saw. It's quite an old film now, created in 1998. It is made up of dark humour... it's about 3 sisters and the men they come into contact with. Unfortunately, one man is a paedophile, one a stalker, and the other is a man cheating on his wife. It's is wickedly dark and in poor-taste, which is why I've remembered it all this time. It might not be to everyone's taste, but I found it funny.

Dark comedy


5. Lars And The Real Girl

And, we're back to adorable. You may have seen Season 8 of House recently. In one episode a man has a 'girlfriend' at home, which turns out to be a sex doll. This film is similar, and looks at an individual who finds it easier to date a bought girlfriend than a real one. It isn't sick, or perverse, but is covered in a sweet way looking at someone who finds it difficult to speak to girls rather than a sexual deviant. If you find the subject interesting, you may find the documentary Guys and Dolls interesting.

Real Girl dolls film



Documentary about people who buy 'Real Dolls'


6. Delicacy


Another sweet Audrey Tatou film, but this one has a bit more bite. I watched this shortly after my father passed away, and found it comforting and honest. It is about a sweet young woman who loses her husband in an unexpected accident. The film shows her pain, but also her journey of coming to terms with this and moving forward. I loved it.


Audrey Tatou Delicacy

(Her outfits in the film are gorgeous too)


7. Moon

The last film is slightly more of a science-fiction based one, and maybe would appeal to men more than some of the others I've mentioned, so if you're trying to find one that the boyfriend would also sit through, this may be it. I can't say much about it because I'll spoil the surprise, but it follows a man who is based on the moon, working alone, and hoping to shortly head home to his wife. It's a clever film, and well made.

Moon film


Obviously, there are a lot more films out there of this nature, but I only happen to have seen these few, so if you know of any more that I may enjoy and haven't stumbled across, please leave me a comment and let me know.

No comments: