- You need maths for shopping - to estimate your total bill
- You need maths (weighing, estimating, converting) to cook food from scratch rather than relying on microwave meals
- You need maths to read timetables and organise journeys.
- You need maths to redectorate a room (how much paint is needed, how long to dry, how much carpet)
- You need maths to budget, understand payslips and set up accounts with interest rates
- You need maths in many different careers - it is a gateway to many jobs
- One day you may need to help your child with their maths homework
- Some elements of maths probably won't be used very often - such as pythagoras or algebra
- Many people find techniques to avoid using maths, or live lives that don't require a high level of maths - such as always using instant meals and working in low paid jobs
- To get a job, you need to write a convincing application or CV
- At interview you need to show advanced speaking and listening skills in order to secure highly paid positions
- To access education at a higher level (A levels or degrees) you need to write with a clear structure and in an effective way.
- Many jobs require a certain level of English
- A good understanding of English will help to study other subjects and to understand teaching.
- Many jobs require staff to write effectively.
- You may need to help your child with English homework.
- Microsoft word corrects your spelling and grammar for you.
- Most people email rather than write letters.
- Many people have good careers without having excellent English skills.