Wednesday 15 August 2012

Review: Mockingjay (The Hunger Games)

So, I finished the trilogy and thought I would conclude by reviewing the final book. This is the last book in the trilogy and so up to this point you should have followed Katniss through two experience of the arena. She is now in the midst of a rebellion and living underground in District 13. Unfortunately, Peeta isn't there with her.

hunger games mockingjay

This novel was probably the most difficult to write. Suzanne Collins had the task of making it exciting enough to engage readers, different enough from the other books, and continuing the same themes and story-lines.

During this book, I started to realise how much I liked the main character. The beauty of the character is that she isn't superficial, but has depth to her. I can even relate to her in lots of ways: she lost her father and is struggling to cope with that loss, she's stubborn to a point where it is actually a disadvantage and she is a fighter and isn't afraid to work hard. These layers to her character just about stop the book from becoming self-indulgent and irritating, although at some points I did want to shake Katniss Everdeen and tell her to stop whinging.

Without giving too much away, this book concludes the attempts to attack the Capitol and for the rebels to conquer. It deviates from becoming good vs evil, and hints that the rebel group are as corrupt as the Capitol. 

The big question is will Katniss end up with Peeta or Gale? I couldn't envisage an ending to this that wouldn't leave me feeling a bit unfulfilled, and unfortunately it wasn't possible. I'm glad we are given a proper ending though, rather than leaving it up to us to decide. 


Josh Hutcherson Hunger GamesLiam Hemsworth Hunger Games
Peeta                                                Gale


Elements of this book are rushed, and some parts do get tiresome. I found myself losing interest towards the end, but I was far enough through it to warrant continuing to read. It will, again, make an amazing film though, and I am eagerly anticipating the second and third film.

Have you read The Hunger Games trilogy? Did you enjoy it?

No comments: