Thursday 20 September 2012

Embarrasing things I have done at work

Spending more than 40 hours a week in one place is sure to result in hilarious moments, some real lows and at times, forgetting you're in a public place. This is a minefield if you're a slightly unusual person to start with. Here are some shameful work blunders I've made the mistake of doing when I'm not thinking about where I am. 



Pulled a weird face

It sounds like nothing, but sometimes when I'm thinking of a conversation I've had earlier, I act it out with my face. Other people obviously don't know this. This is the kind of thing I do in seemingly safe places: an empty corridor or walking across the car park. Unfortunatly there is often someone watching that you don't know of, and when you look up and catch their eye after walking along and suddenly pulling a contorted expression... shameful, and slightly confusing, for them.

Spat tea out

Sometimes, I choke on tea. It gets caught in my throat. I don't know why, but I do. Unfortunately, sometimes that happens at work and I spit it all over myself. Occasionally I spit it all over my nearest colleague. At my last place of work, my 'work-dad' older colleague friend used to remind me of the time I spat tea out in the corridor and he had to dive out the way.

Sang a little song

This is a recent experience. I walked down a corridor recently, and my keys were jangling. This reminded me of the song Mr Bojangles. I sang a quick line of "Lucy Boooojangles" to myself, thinking no one was around. It turned out there was a student about 2 feet in front of me, round a corner. He looked at me pretty strangely. 

Picked my nose

I don't think I've been caught doing this at work, but I have stood outside a senior member of staff's office, that had a partially glass door, and seen them picking their nose. They looked up and saw me mid-pick, and looked embarrassed. The next week, the glass on the door was covered up.

Cried

This is a pain if you're a teacher, and your desk is right near the staffroom door. I have cried at work a number of times, sometimes due to the job, sometimes due to extreme personal reasons. Then a student comes looking for you, and spots that you've been crying. Before you know it, they all know and it's the talk of the town. Even getting out the building is a hazard when there are tonnes of teenagers loitering around. There's not a lot you can do about it, but it makes those low moments far more unbearable!

Do you have any embarrassing stories?


No comments: