Friday 22 June 2012

And so, they come and go....

It was one of my colleague's last day today. She sat in the chair behind me, and I shared quite a few groups with her. Although I probably wouldn't be friends with her outside of work, because there's a big age gap and she has children, we got on pretty well. I've made quite a few friends through work in different jobs over the years that I wouldn't usually meet or hang out with in 'real life', so to speak. I do genuinely consider them friends though, or at least people I was close to for a time.

It's funny how people that I work with know more about me than some of my closest friends. That's mostly beacuse they see me on a daily basis, and you learn little things about each other. We all went for a meal at lunch today and I realised, we are quite a close team. There are some members who are sort of on the periphery, usually the part-timers, but there is a group of us that know each other really well and have our own way of interacting with each other, and a certain understanding. In the group, I tend to be the butt of a lot of the jokes, but I do bring it on myself. I guess I'm the 'class clown'. The abuse is out of fondness though... or so they tell me!

Over my career I imagine I will end up getting close to, and losing contact with a lot of people. I like that in a workplace there is a mixture of people, and some you bond with closely, and some you reach a way of interacting together. It made me sad that my time will be split up in September, and we will each be allocated to different departments. There is a lot to be gained from that set-up, but it means I'll be moved away from all the people I am close to at work.

I hope you all get on well with your work teams. I think it's really important that you feel liked and respected in a place where you spend so many hours of your life.

No comments: