Tuesday 26 June 2012

Snap happy

For my blog photos to be of better quality, I need to buy a camera and stop using my crappy iphone camera. I have spent a good hour of my time perving over cameras, and trying to work out which would be the best, and how much I'm prepared to pay. In typical girl fashion, I have prioritised the way it looks. I know that's a bit silly, but I figure that the more gorgeous it is, the more I'll want to use it.

To start with I wanted a lomography camera that I saw on Urban Outfitters... 
vintage camera
Then I realised that these cameras only use film, so despite being beautiful, they're just not practical. I really like the retro look to them though, so I looked around for digital cameras with the same look. It turns out they're a fairly niche product, but there are some around.

The first one I saw was the x100 by Fugifilm.
retro camera
I really really love this camera, and it has really great reviews, but it's about £650, which I definitely can't afford if I'm thinking of moving in with the fella. So I looked around for cheaper options. They don't get a whole lot cheaper, but I found these..

Retro camera
 The Samsung EX1 for about £280
Retro camera
 The Olympus E-PL1 for £299
retro camera
The Pentax Q for £299

As far as I can tell, these are all great cameras, but you're paying a hefty price tag for any of them. I finally decided the one I am lusting after the much is the cheaper version of the X100, called the X10. It's virtually identically and classically, a really attractive camera.
retro camera
 It hasn't got the lovely silver edges, but it's so nice to look at and has really great reviews and specifications. It's £350, so I'll have to think about it, but it's my birthday in about 5 weeks, so I may just have to be patient and drop some subtle hints. 

What camera do you use? Do you have any recommendations?

No comments: