Sunday, 20 January 2013

Miranda Hart: Is it just me? Audiobook

As a busy working individual (with an Iphone with a number of apps which I spend far too long playing on), I tend not to read as regularly as I would hope. A solution? Audiobooks! The most recent audiobook I have downloaded is Miranda Hart's little book of silly musings, read by the woman herself, called 'Is it just me?'. I went for this as it's somewhere between an autobiography, stand up comedy and listening to Radio 4. I enjoyed Alan Carr's audiobook autobiography not long ago, and so I thought I'd try Miranda's.



The good thing about autobiographies that are by people you like- they are read by people you like. I wouldn't sit down and read through a book by my favourite comedian in a million years, as I am something of a literary snob who reads mostly modern classics and other highly regarded novels. Yet, if it is being read to me by them I class it in the same vicinity as trashy TV, or a radio programme, and therefore it is not a waste of my time.

Miranda's audiobook has so far been a little hit and miss. I particularly enjoyed her list of why she hates going to the Hairdresser's, because I hate going to the Hairdresser's for exactly the same reasons. I've become a little bit irritated by her insistance of speaking to '18 year old Miranda' every 5 minutes, and explaining changes that have happened since she was 18 to herself, but half of the time doing a slightly posher and more annoying accent. Despite this, she does share my sentiments about a lot of things, or seems even more worried about many everyday acitivties than I do, and therefore makes me feel a little less alone. I do think a lot of her writing is exagerrated to keep up with the 'character' of Miranda: No one is that clumsy.

As something to listen to whilst cooking, trying to sleep in  bed, or driving, I would recommend this audiobook. These are times where I would otherwise be wasting time, so a little bit of hit-and-miss hilarity is always welcome. Any laugh is a bonus. However, I don't think I would spend an evening listening to this, or choose it over reading a good book when I do finally settle down to a literary escapade. I don't think I'm learning as much about Miranda as I did about Alan Carr in his autobiography, but then I don't think Miranda's plan here is to tell us about ourselves. It's more of an attempt at observational comedy.

Do you listen to audibooks? Do you have any recommendations to make?

No comments: