Tuesday 31 July 2012

New Addiction : HBO's Girls

My friend told me about this new show called Girls. She told me it was similar to Sex and the City, but more realistic.

Anyway, I tried watching the first episode, and loved loved loved it! It's really funny, and quite deadpan. The character Hannah (the one in the middle in the clip below) is the funniest character. She is a bit ridiculous, too honest for her own good and gets herself into strange situations (think Miranda Hart in her early 20s). She reminds me a little of Josie Long in her stand-up.


Basically, the premise of Girls is they are a female group of friends who live in New York City. However, unlike the glamorous ladies from Sex and the City, these friends are mostly broke, struggling in a recession, don't go to hot new clubs but go to bed at a reasonable time with their boyfriends that they aren't entirely sure about. I imagine if I went to New York, this would more likely by more experience, rather than taxiing about like Carrie and Samantha and meeting hot eligible men.

If you do get a chance to see it, I think it is on Sky Atlantic. You can also sign up to be told when the DVD is available here.

If you liked Sex and the City, New Girl or Miranda, I think you'd like Girls.


For those of you who haven't seen it before, Miranda Hart clowning around. You can watch episodes of Miranda on Youtube. Here is the beginning of one.

If you haven't seen it before, it is old-school humour, completely ridiculous, but embarrassingly addictive. Just don't tell your friends you watch it!

Also, check out Josie Long's stand up. She is wonderfully self-effacing.





No comments: