Tuesday 23 July 2013

Lucid Dreaming

Have you ever heard of lucid dreaming? This is an idea that I wasn't aware of until I studied Psychology. In fact, it's easy to do and kind of mindblowing.

 
Waking Life - A film about Lucid Dreaming

Lucid dreaming is about becoming in control of your own dreams. Have you ever had a really cool dream that you didn't want to end? Imagine if you could control that dream. Lucid dreaming is the act of becoming aware that you are dreaming. Once you become aware this allows you to experience the dream in a new way, and make decisions, as if you are awake but not limited by the rules of gravity or physics.

I have only experienced lucid dreaming a couple of times. The first time scared me and I woke up nearly straight away. The second time I found myself able to fly around, in control, and it was amazing. Some people spend lots of time mastering lucid dream and regularly lucid dream. It could help you practice a new skill or act out fantasies. One woman who speaks about lucid dreams claims the ability to orgasm during her sleep!

In order to lucid dream, you need to ensure that during your dream you'll stop and ask yourself 'is this a dream?'. In order to do that during your sleep, you need to do that when you're awake. Here are some tips to increase the likelihood of lucid dreaming:

  • Stop and ask yourself each day 'Am I awake right now?'. If you do that enough, you will eventually do it in your sleep too.
  • Keep a diary of your dreams and record them when you wake up.
  • Draw an L on your hand. Every time you see it, think about lucid dreaming. Eventually you may see the L in your sleep.
  • Watch the film Waking Life before you go to bed. This film is all about lucid dreaming. I often dream about films I watched, so there's a good chance you might remember it once you go to sleep.
  • Look at How to Lucid Dream websites for help.

Do you lucid dream? Are you going to try?

No comments: